Saturday, August 11, 2007

Black Sea 2007, Day 13


First I’d like to thank Doc Mary for supplying this picture of me.  Just another sunrise, in the Sea of Crete (obviously this is an older picture as we’re steaming through the Black Sea).  Some people have asked me about all the other pictures I’ve taken during this expedition.  I’ve added them to http://www.flickr.com.  You can find them at http://www.flickr.com/photos/8617419@N07/  I hope to continue uploading pictures as I take them to flickr, I suggest you save this web site and check it when you can.  Again, I’d like to thank Doc Mary for giving me some her pictures.


Not much is happening as we prepare for our next leg in the Black Sea.  We should get there about 7 pm tonight and we’ll multi-beam through the night.  When we multi-beam we’re generating a map (bathymetry is the sciency word for it) of the sea floor.  This is where you can look at the images created and pick out shapes by what they look like and how high they are.  This can tell you where underwater volcanos, ship wrecks, and the Lost City of Atlantis might be.  So far all we’ve found are bags of trash.


Something that has been completely different is the food aboard the ship.  As I described early on, we’re fed with white-cloth table service.  We have an Italian server named Tony, who spent 10 years in New Jersey, he makes us Cappuccinos and Espressos every morning with breakfast.  At lunch and dinner we receive a menu.  We’ve been learning Italian by the menus, as Tony has had to translate it for us at every meal.  We have set meal schedules that if we’re late we get the evil eye from Tony.  The menu consists of a salad, soup, past, two entrees, and two side dishes.  With diner we’re offered gelato, which is excellent.  During the day, there are two coffee breaks at 10 am and at 3 pm.  On Thursdays and Sundays the 3 pm coffee reak includes a dessert.  I’m doing everything I can from eating EVERYTHING!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home