Monday, August 27, 2007

Black Sea 2007, Day 28

Does everyone remember that Ramones song, “I wanna be sedated”? This has been our theme song for the past several hours. “Twenty, Twenty, Twenty-Four Hours to go-oh-oh, I wanna be in transit. Nothing to do, oh, no-oh-oh. I wanna be in transit. Take me to La Spezia, put me on a plane, I wanna be in transit!” What do you expect, we’ve been out here for 4 weeks. We’re getting a little bit loopy.

This is our last day on station. We’ll be checking our sonar packages that we’ve left around the site, to make sure when they were deployed they are in the right spot. There are two packages. They are both going to be on sea floor for a whole year collecting data, like current, temperature, salinity, etc. When we come back next year, we can look at the data and have a better understanding how the changes in the sea affect the wrecks we’ve been looking at.

The first sonar package was completely twisted. You think it’s difficult untying a knot, imagine doing it with a mechanical manipulator 300 meters under the sea. That was an amazing site, as they did an excellent job, but I’m glad I didn’t have to do it. Then we were in a two hour transit from one package to the other. The whole time, we saw blue, blue, blue water.

Tomorrow we leave around noon time, and head for a day’s steam towards Istanbul to drop our first set of scientists off.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home