Saturday, February 18, 2006

Our Jobs

The one question we're always asked is: What do you do? The reason it's difficult to describe, is because it encompasses so many different tasks.

My father is the Technical Manager for the Olympics. He was here, in Torino, a week before most of the crew arrived at the venue. His main job is to oversee the work done by all of the technical staff on site: the camera guys, engineers, tape guys, editers, etc. Not only does he have to make sure their doing their job, but coordinate with the Host Broadcaster (TOBO) to make sure our cameras are in the correct positions, that we have the correct feeds, etc. He also deals with the field shop, by coordinating delivery of equipment needed. And last, but not least, deals with the load out.

He deals with any technical issues that comes up. And, if he has done his job correctly (which he has), try and catch any issues that might come up, before they become an issue.

My job is titled Maintenance for the Olympics. Unfortunately the job title doesn't accurately describe what I do.

When I was a maintenance engineer for New Century Productions I fixed cables and equipment. I don't do that here. I don't have a soldering iron, connectors for cables, or any real tools to be able to fix anything in the field. Everything was checked before hand, to try and make sure all the cable and equipment work perfectly, so that we don't need someone with a soldering iron or connectors on duty all the time. There hasn't been a need for anyone to fix anything yet.

So, what do I do? I came into the venue with no knowledge of what kind of system I would have to work with. I was given a rack full of equipment, that had been wired up by someone else, a set of drawings, and box full of cable. I spent the first three days here wiring up what hadn't been done, out side of the C-World Control room. This meant interfacing with TOC (Technical Operations Center) for our 19 camera feeds, the Avid room (There are two Avids, one to digitize to and one to edit packages with), and TOES (Typical Old Edit System) where most of the packages are built.

After those three days, I just monitor equipment inside the C-World Control room to make sure that everything is operational. If I get a red light some where I'm not supposed to; I trouble shoot it as best I can, with what I have. If I can't fix it with the tools I brought with me, I just call one of the many technicians from the different vendors of equipment we're using and they fix it or replace it. This is a VERY nice gig.

We are NOT cameramen. There is nothing wrong with being a camera guy (except we get to stay inside a warm building or truck, while they freeze their patooties off). There is a HUGE chance you will never see us on television, as we're very rarely in the stadium working. The only time you might see us is if there is a problem with one of the cameras or a cable, you might catch a glimpse of us in the crowd. But don't look for us. You'll just get eye-strain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home