Monday, August 16, 2010

World Equastrian Games Day #1

Welcome back, oh followers of David and Brian's Excellent Adventures. We are back for yet another adventure in the world of TV Sports and particularly of WEG. More on WEG later but we haven't written one together in a long time because we haven't done any shows together in a long time. This will be my last big show (yea, yea, I know you have heard this before but it is true, this is it). And this time, Brian is not here in a lowly maintenance role but as a Tech Manager. More on that as well. This is time to share again, a father and son's careers and adventures together whether they will be fun or not is left up to the imagination of you, dear readers.

So what has been happening to us since the last submission. I looked back on the last time which was Brian going to sea (yet again) with Bob Ballard and his merry band of scientists. Guess where Brian is currently? With Bob Ballard and his merry band of scientists. Brian has his video log at http://gallery.me.com/brianraynes#gallery I don't care for his style of how he is reporting each day and that is why I am listed in the credits as "Critic".

So, what have we been doing?

Continued running Little Bay
Built 2 more Game Creek trucks
Built a truck for the Japanese
Built a truck for Corplex that didn't go well
Built some smaller control rooms
Sat on our butts for 1/2 year wondering why we were in this business while the economy tanked
Built a big church control room in Baton Rouge....at least God had money
Built a fly away system for a PBS station in Tennessee
Ticked off a bunch of people
Sold a lot of cameras which kept Little Bay alive
Built a truck for NCP

THEN, finally, getting ready for WEG

What is WEG? WEG is the World Equestrian Games and it is the Olympics of the horse world. It is an event that is usually held in Europe and happens every 4 years. All countries compete in each event and has now, finally, come to the US. Carr-Hughes was chosen to be the Host Broadcaster and I was chosen as the senior tech manager. I have been working on this event for over 4 years. I was actually asked back in Torino Olympics to do this and now we are getting ready to stage the event. AND Rosemary is going to be a part of the team as she is destined to be the transportation captain (look it up, all movies have one). But we have been calling her the golf cart wrangler. So she will be contributing her thoughts as well as a staff person. And of course our final thoughts each has as to how it went and how it effected each of us. I did forget to mention where I am which is Lexington KY at the Kentucky Horse Park.

Now the ground rules; I am here for 2 months so I doubt I will be writing every day. Or writing long articles of what has happened. Don't look for it. No pictures or videos today but we will try both again for this event. The park is gorgeous and the surrounding areas even more so. So there will be information shared on this as well. Brian joins me the first part of September and Rosemary comes in mid-September. Where we are staying is another source of a story.

So, as I tell my friends when I give them a ride in my sports car
"Get in, put your seat belt on, shut up, and hang on".

From the Kentucky Horse Park
david

1 Comments:

At 4:35 PM, Blogger Diane said...

Can't wait to hear more!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home