Sunday, June 04, 2006

Day 23 - Microwave Issues

Saturday June 3, 2006

There was a microwave system setup to show the scientists on the Nautilos, in the Black Sea. This allowed them to watch the footage we were filming. Well, we're not in the Black Sea. We're in Greece. Dr. Ballard would like to show people, who have flown to the island, what the ROVs are sending back for footage. Using the microwave system would be perfect, right? Well......

The dock on the main island, Thira, is fairly small and can't accept a ship as large as the Endeavor. So, there have been boats set up for daily shuttles to take people to the ship and from the ship. Remember: Small ship (Big ship for the Dock, small ship for the number of people). So, to get me off the ship, to set up the microwave system is difficult because if I don't have the right tools, I can't do it. And I have a short opportunity to get this right. If somethings wrong, it's not like I can go to Home Depot or Radio Shack to get it right. And, I can't get back off the ship until much, much later.

So, I load up my pockets with screwdrivers, wire ties, electrical tape and my Leatherman. Mary Nichols and I get off the ship for 5 hours to set this up, and have a little R and R. When we get to the island, it's beautiful. There are houses built ON the ridge and IN the side of the ridge everywhere.

When you get off the shuttle boat, you are still 1000 feet below the city of Thira. Thira is a tourist town. The caldera makes for a very nice harbor, since it's surrounded by islands. To get to the top of the cliff you have three options: walk, take a tram, or take a donkey. We took a tram.

If you follow the path of the tram you'll notice that the retaining wall is notched to let the tram cars pass. But, if you look really closely, you'll notice that notch looks like it was bashed away. Hopefully without using the Tram!

After getting to the top we were led to the Hotel Atlantis, which is where Dr. Ballard is staying. Mary and I got into his room and set up the microwave receiver. When we flipped the "On" switch, nothing happened. That's not good. Checked the cables, checked the power. Tried again. Nothing. That's REALLY not good. There was a business card in the traveling case for a technician that we were told we could call night or day to help us. It's 3:30am in the US. Perfect!

What he didn't tell us was that it was his office number. And night and day meant: As long as I'm in my office, I'll answer it. Oh, crud. After searching around, checking fuses, and looking at the cables I found the main power cable had all of the wire inside of it pulled off the connector. Now, if we were on the ship, at my house, ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD, other than a touristy island, I could fix this with a soldering iron. I can't go back to the ship, who knows when I can get back here. After checking my pockets twice, I still didn't have one.

Mary and I went to four electronics stores and three hardware stores. Nothing. Double crud. So, it was time for me to make my salary, and really come in handy. After searching around, I stole a fork from the dinning room table at the Hotel Atlantis, bent all the tines down, except one. Using a Bic lighter got the tine hot enough, to melt the solder. The whole time I chanted: "I am McGuyer. I am McGuyver."

After lunch, we had to catch our shuttle boat. There was only one way Mary and I wanted to get down the cliffs: Donkey.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home