Sunday, March 04, 2007

Day 7, with a recap

We've started our broadcasts, they are on www.immersionpresents.org, click on "Channel" and you should be able to watch our shows at 11am, 12pm, 1pm, 2pm, 3pm, and 4pm. It's been a long time getting to where we are. I haven't been getting a lot of sleep, but I've still got a smile on my face, and many stories to tell. We'll go back in time to Day One.

February 26th: Galveston, TX
I flew into George Bush Intercontinental. The idea was to pick up Doc Mary, wait around for another of the Scientists, drive to Galveston, get some dinner and start the next day bright eyed and bushy-tailed. Why is it that the best laid plans never work?

Things were going well. My bags showed up quickly in the carousel, I got my rental car, and then called Doc Mary. She told me she wasn't at George Bush Intercontinental, she was at Hobby Airport, which is a good 40 miles away. Oops. That's fine, I'll wait for the other scientist, then get Doc Mary. When I checked my voicemail, it seems the other scientist was delayed from Chicago by two hours. Oops. OK, regroup. I'll go get Doc Mary, have dinner, come back to Intercontinental to get the scientist. Right? Right.

Now if you've ever driven around Houston, you'll know it's not a fun ride. There are two beltways that surround Houston, because there are such a heavy flow of traffic through the city, it's better to go around. Well, unfortunately I zigged, when I should've zagged and drove around Houston a couple of times. Oops. Needless to say Doc Mary was waiting at Hobby Airport for about 4 or 5 hours. Don't worry, I bought her dinner one night.

Day Two: Galveston, Pier 40

Doc Mary and I are the only two of the three video techs in Galveston, so starting to setup is slow. But, something that's different, is all the military presence. We're riding around on the Carolyn Chouest, which is a ship privately owned by a corporation. The reason for the military presence is the NR-1. This is a Navy submarine, which is the smallest, nucular powered submarine in the world. It also has the claim as the deepest diving vessel, that is manned. We'll talk about that later. With the nucular material and the Navy present, they require armed guards on the pier, on the ship and armed patrol boats around the harbour. This is VERY different, than what I'm used to. I'd show you pictures of the marines, but I might get shot at. I think I'll pass.

The reason for our expedition is two fold, it's really to bring the interest of children towards ocean exploration and oceanography, and to look at the ridge line that runs about 100 miles off the coast of Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and Florida, where some scientists believe the coast line used to be about 19,000 years ago. They've actually found signs of life around this ridge line which predates most of our knowledge of the history of man on North America. It's only about 200 meters deep, so instead of the Hercules and Argus team, we're just using Argus. To replace Hercules we've actually mounted a camera inside the NR-1 looking through one of the viewports at the bow of the sub.

With only two of, setup goes slow, but we'll be OK.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home