Sunday, February 04, 2007

Super Bowl Afternoon

Well, I don't believe my father put this morning in to perspective.

Aaaaaaahhhhhhhh!!!!!!

Today is not the day to be the power guy!

I was JUST about to get into the shower, when one of our satellite uplink operators called me. He thought I'd like to know that he was having a bad day, and wished to share his dispair. I got on the phone with all the tech managers, a couple of engineers of the television trucks, and ran for the door. Don't worry, I did take a shower before I left.

Getting here was a little nerve wracking. I hitched a ride with our lead tech manager, and spoke about all our options as we drove to the stadium. The stress of the situation was compounded by the fact we were parked in a different parking lot than the last two weeks. Security procedures were different than the last two weeks. All we wanted to do was get to our compound and find out what stage we were at, and how we were moving forward. While one set of tech managers worked on getting the power back up, I got handed CBS News, as they were doing a Face the Nation segment from inside the stadium. The good news was they were using the equipment inside of the satellite truck, which has it's own backup generator. The bad news was the cameras they were using went through the truck I use for transmission. It doesn't have it's own backup generator. Oops. We got them up for their 10:30am show.

After getting the power situation stabilized the SECOND time (Yes, I too went for a bagel during the second power outage), I had to run around and check all of my transmission equipment. Eventhough I haven't been here 24/7 (Thank, gosh!) we've kept our equipment online so it's always working, tested, tried-and-true. When you turn something off, or change ANYTHING about it, it is deemed untested. Anything could've happened during power-up. Fortunately, we did a transmission check, and everything came up fine. It's 1:43pm. We go on in 17 minutes.

brian and dave

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home