Thursday, August 19, 2010

WEG Day #4

Now that we have gotten the trip over out of our system and the bird that landed on my car, I would now like to re-educate all my favorite fans on the Blog as to what I do.

I work in TV. I have been doing it since 1972 and I am still doing it. This particular job that I am on is very unique for me as I have never held an overall position of authority to running a multi-venue event. I have done Olympics over the years but I have never held ultimate responsibility for an event and had Tech Managers look to me for the answers. I have always been one that has been directed but not to direct. Now, it is my turn and this is my last. Yea, yea, later.

Let me take you back.

I was in Torino doing that Olympics when I was approached by an old friend of mine, Jim Carr, who was producing Downhill for NBC. I was tech managing Cross Country (that Blog is still active in this site) for NBC and he said in passing, "Call me when you get home, I have something interesting to talk to you about". I did and he told me about WEG and what he needed; he wanted me to technically produce the show for the world feed. I would have a staff of about 125 technicians and have two or more Tech Managers working for me to do this. I thought about this for about 3 seconds and said sure, count me in. That was over 4 years ago.

I have done some pre-WEG shows for Jim and his company, Carr-Hughes, to prepare for this time. As Rosemary and I had horses and I knew some ins and outs for the competition, I was ready to take on the challenge of covering the events and making sure that I could handle the challenges of international broadcast and making a good effort towards local broadcast feeding NBC and their affiliates. I was back to doing top quality production with some star talent.

I now needed to build my staff. I needed two top tech managers to cover the events that were based around the venues that we were going to cover and some other parts of the park. I am still holding off on describing the competition as that will be another Blog for another time. I am also holding off talking about the Park as that will take a long time to describe. I want to focus on building my staff. The first person I wanted to have help me was Brian, my son. Yes, there are many other more qualified people that could have done a good job but Brian brings a good attitude and an aggressive disposition to the party and I needed and wanted that. This is not a tough project but it is one that is long and most lose interest and attitude as it goes on. I didn't need some prima donna but someone that just gets the job done. Brian fits the bill and I put him is as the primary Tech Manager. The second person I asked was an experienced hand in tech managing but was one that was looking for the secondary role and not wanting too much stress. I hired him as I knew he could do a very good job but in a secondary role to Brian. And he was okay with the fact that Brian was taking the primary role. Unfortunately he had to do a job with Carr-Hughes on a show in NYC and that one didn't go well as it was more difficult then he was ready for. I had to let him go. Now the search was on for another secondary Tech Manager. In my search, I contacted an old friend of mine who runs the Olympic Unit for NBC who I asked if he could help me find someone to fill the spot. There was a pause on the phone and then this small voice came from him asking, "what about me? I can do it because I am doing nothing until London Olympics. I can if you want me." I hired him then and there. Chip Adams is one of the best Tech Managers in the business and there is a reason why he runs all of the NBC Olympics people; he is that good. I couldn't believe my luck. I needed to make him the Primary tech manager and Brian totally agreed to the change status. I had my staff.

With the building of my primary personnel, I was ready to take on the challenges of this new project. I know of dealing with host broadcasting from entities built within this country. We do a terrible job at organizing a major event and next I will be now discuss the events leading up to where I am today.

From the Kentucky Horse Park
david

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home