Sunday, September 26, 2010

Hello from Rosemary! My first week.

Hello everyone! I'm finally on a laptop (Brian's) and joining in on this Blog.
Here are the main answers to the most important 2 questions:
1. Am I glad I'm doing this? ...well, it depends which day it is!
2. Will I ever do this again? Hell no! :-)

9/20 My first day - started with excitement, then confusion, then...."what the heck have
I gotten myself into?" Turns out beside being a golf cart
driver, I am a Runner - which is a gopher - "go for this, go for that". Went shopping for office and other supplies. Sounds fun - spending other people's money. Not hard
work just have to figure out how much of anything on the list to get - I heard later "aim high". Get a LOT! I was asked to also get ten 55 gallon trash cans to put ice in for the beer they were serving at that BBQ that night. I only had enough money left from money my boss had given me to shop with, for 6 and I bought ones that roll (grr, no more trying to indent each paragraph here) and rolled them out to the van (2 sets of 3 inside each other) that I'd already filled with alot of things and figured I'd put these cans in the back. I tried folding the seats down and couldn't figure out how... oh, man....I thought "they will think I'm so stupid" - I managed to get one onto a seat but there wasn't any to get the others in so I took the other 5 back and left them with customer service to be picked up at a later time. Don, another runner,was asked to go back and get them. I asked him to show me how to fold down the seats so i would know for the future and after looking around, he said they don't fold down, they have to be taken out - I felt SO much better hearing that. Lots of other things to do - pick up trash in compound, empty trash in office (which are in trailer). Took workers to the parking lot at end of day. It was a great way to unwind from the crazy day = nice breeze while driving, after such a hot day (in the 90's). People grateful to have a ride to the parking lot since its a pretty long walk. I was pretty tired by end of day. I had worked 8am to 7:30pm and was told to be in at 6:30am the next day - I feeling a little bad for myself till I realized all the other runners had to drive in, park, walk the long walk to the Cart Barn, get a cart or van and go back to the parking lot to pick people up. So, I asked my boss if I could take home a golf cart so I could go pick up runners at the lot and bring them to the barn and the liked the idea. So that has worked great and the other runners are appreciative of it. David, Brian and I talked for awhile after we got back to our campsites and I was really tired.

Tuesday - picked up runners at 6:20am - worked till 8pm Day went better. Am happier. Hotter today. When Brian, David and I talked that night, I was telling them things that felt like they happened several days ago and then I'd go "OH, that was only THIS morning".

Weds: 6:20 picked up Runners. Worked till 7 or 8 - can't remember. 96 degrees. Heat bothering me way more than the long hours. I think I was starting to look bad as boss starts asking if I'm ok. These last 3 nights when I ate supper, I only ate because it was there (free in the catering tent) and I should eat but was SO tired, even while eating. Early to bed.

Thursday - picked up runners 6:20am - worked till mid - morning. Boss told me to go home to rest then come back at 5 to shuttle people to parking lot. They said since I'm living so close, it would work great to have me come in early, shuttle people , go back and rest and come back and shuttle the night shift. Worked 5pm - 11pm. I was happy for the first 5 mins and then the "S hit the fan". Also poured while shuttling so we were all soaked in some areas and had to be in wet pants till going home time. The whole night was chaotic. Done at 11. Right to bed.

Friday - 5:20am pick up runners. When done shuttling people boss called me and told me to meet him and other runners in catering tent for a meeting,then I could go take a nap (which the other runners heard). in meeting he said we needed to shuttle people at 9 and 10 which included me - the other runners are saying "hey i thought you were going to get to take a nap".
After shutting the next 2 groups, i was released and told to go back at 5. This is day William Shatner was coming in for the voice over was coming in for that voice over Brian talked about in previous journal. I was really hoping to meet him. After coming back from first shuttle, pretty wet, I turned around and there he was!....3 feet from me. Went home for awhile, back at 5...till 11. Told to be in at 5;30am tomorrow - what??

Sat - 5:20 till some point. Very cold while shuttling. Left around 11 and had rest of day off. Told to be in at 4:30 am tomorrow -WHAT??? Was given a ticket to the opening ceremonies (one perk of "sleeping with one of the bosses" - which apparently doesn't keep me from picking up trash from the compound grounds. :-) saw first 2 hours of ceremony which I loved. Left before over as knew I had to get up at 3:30 next morning. In bed before David got home.

Sun: 4:20am pick up runners - wore extra clothing so I wouldn't be so cold. Was told I could leave at 8am - they didn't know what time they wanted me back so I asked them to call. One of my bosses, Jackie, called me at 5pm to tell me to be ready to shuttle people at 5am and that I didn't have to come back in tonight. nice! Brian got out earlier than usual - we did some shopping and then he made us some hamburgers for dinner. I had brought David's gator home - I went back to get him and to get a cart to drive home so I could runners in the morning. checked runners list and my name wasn't on it...another person said I have tomorrow off. Oh, ok.

I like the people I am working for and with...the runners are mostly college students or college grads. We get along great. Jackie and Jack, our bosses stay positive and appreciative to us, even though they are likely running on fumes. They work longer hours than us and have so much to do. My favorite thing to do is the shuttling...getting to talk to the crew,etc.

Like trailer that was rented to us. Roomy - although could use a bit more room in bathroom and bedroom,but bed is comfy and i sleep well.

More later...

1 Comments:

At 9:13 AM, Blogger Diane said...

Wow, you have some crazy hours! I hope you're getting some rest today. Now that I know you are off, I'll give you a call later today.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home