Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Final Thoughts-David

As we are now going thru the Tyrolean Alps, I have had a chance to reflect on my work on the Torino Winter Olympic Games of 2006. When I had decided to do one more Olympics after the Salt Lake fiasco, I went in with concerns as to how I would do. Working for the Olympic Committee as Host was something I did for the last three Olympics. Working for the “dark side” as NBC is sometimes called was going to be something I would need to contend with yet again. Dealing with the Producer who would want to make Gone with the Wind II with his segments to air was always a challenge. A lot of these freelance producers need to make a statement and need to prove they are worthy of more NBC feedings was always an annoying part of working for NBC. And I was back again to do that. Also, working with a new Engineering team that would or wouldn’t support me was also a challenge. Ya just never know which way the cat will jump.

In a word, I was awesome!

I was able to take control of the venue and work very closely with the Host on a lot of the broadcast issues. Setting up a good communications path and letting them know what I expected early on helped. The fact that I was known and liked by the Host production team certainly helped that they would be compliant to NBC’s demands. The “seen it, done it” attitude left little room for compromise when it came to my needs. I left very little room for acceptance of compromise and they knew it. Like a spoiled child, I always get my way. Dealing also with the NBC production team was also put to my favor. The producer, Rob Hyland, was looking to build the epic. After a little “prayer meeting”, he quickly realized that it was what it was, and that Brian and I were trying to give him everything we could but we just didn’t have anything left in our bag of tricks. His expectations did drop and he was able to adept well and do his job. Brian established his credentials quickly with setting up the control room better then designed. I was able to work with Rob to find out his workflow and what he ultimately needed to get his job done effectively. It worked well and we did develop a strong team.

Looking back on this experience gave me final closure to my Olympic experience. What happened in Salt Lake was very tough to deal with and walk away from. I had always enjoyed my Olympic experiences up to this point. With the fiasco in Salt Lake, I had walked away saying I would never do this again. With Torino, I came back to do just one more. The experience for me was fantastic and now, I can truthfully say, “that’s it”. Staying too long at the party is not my style. Going out with a strong finish is. I was in the Italian Alps for 6 weeks with the best of technical crew, a strong production crew, and working with my son. That was the best experience that I don’t believe anything can top.

Time to turn over to another Raynes the legacy of doing Olympics. Brian did a fantastic job with what he was given to work with. He did command the respect of the Production team early and was able to support their needs. He also got along well with the technical crew and responded to any technical issues. I thought we made a good team together and worked well even though I drove him crazy, as he did me, sometimes. We have both agreed this will be the final time we do work together on long term projects away from home. The company, Little Bay, did suffer due to one of us not being there. We did no marketing, we couldn’t take care of the finances, and we couldn’t deal with the phone issues that always seem to arise. Both of us being on the same job, out of country, does not help a company grow. So it has been agreed that one of us will always stay home to take care of the business. Too bad because I like working with my son as I think he likes working with me. Beijing Olympics is all his!

So, loyal readers, this ends another chapter of David and Brian’s excellent adventures. So endeth this from my point of view...Ciao.

Brian, your turn.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home